Scientists in the Vollum Institute at OHSU have identified an enzyme that plays a crucial role in the degeneration of axons, the threadlike portions of a nerve cell that transmit signals within the nervous system. Axon loss occurs in all neurodegenerative diseases, so this discovery could open new pathways to treating or preventing a wide array of brain diseases. (July 14, 2017)
powered by the Center for BrainHealth team of scientists
Food for Thought: Chocolate and Your Brain
Adding dark chocolate to your daily diet could benefit your brain, according to Italian researchers. “Regular intake of cocoa and chocolate could indeed provide beneficial effects on cognitive functioning over time,” said researchers from the University of L’Aquila in Italy. Studies have found that the cocoa bean is a rich source of flavanols, a class of natural compounds that can have neuroprotective effects.
Source: Science Daily
Most Read Articles
- BBC: Stressful experiences ‘can age the brain by four years’
- Science Daily: Brief interactions spur lasting waves of gene activity in the brain
- Medical Xpress: Study identifies new target to preserve nerve function
- Scientific American: Brain activity during sleep can predict when someone is dreaming
- News-Medical: Regular word puzzle use linked to better brain function in later life
Sign up for our Newsletter
Click here to subscribe for the latest news on Brain Health via email newsletters.
Submit your content for publication on BrainHealthDaily.com